IELTS Preparation

When you had to go to a hospital or see a doctor


IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card 357 with Model Answer:

Describe a time when you had to go to a hospital or see a doctor.

You should say:

  • what was wrong with you
  • how you felt at that time
  • what happened at the hospital or doctor’s chamber

and explain what treatment you were given to help you get better.

will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one
minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes
to help you if you wish.]

Model Answer:

I would like to thank you first to let me talk about this topic. Well, I personally hate seeing doctors and wish to remain healthy so that I can avoid going through diagnosis and treatment. Visiting someone at a hospital is entirely different than getting admitted there for the treatment.

Regrettably, I had to see a doctor recently, around a month ago. Due to the changes of season and my exposure to public places that time, I got a severe cold and viral infection. It was accompanied by continuous sneezing, occasional fever, heavy head and a running nose which left me in great discomfort. I was sick and had suffered a great pain for two days. I could barely keep my eyes open due to the developing stress. After no more resistance, I decided to see Mr Alfred, a doctor in our locality.

I had to wait around 45 minutes outside his chamber and when I finally met him, he asked me how I was feeling. He then checked my pulse, body temperature and possible infections in my throat. He then asked me how long I had this condition and whether I had taken any medicine or not. After some time, he concluded that I have developed a flue, probably due to the temperature changes, dust and my exposure to a different environment.

He finally took his prescription pad and prescribed me a few medicines and recommended me a test. He advised me to avoid cold water and beverages. On top of that, he asked me to avoid going out in the dirt. I asked how long I might take to heal completely, and he beamed on that. He then said that it will take another three to four days.

I did the test and visited him again sometime later. He told me that nothing was serious and I should take some bed rest and hopefully get well soon. Fortunately, I recovered within two days and could concentrate on my daily works without any running nose or a headache.

Article publié pour la première fois le 16/05/2018

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About the author


Your IP is