If you are reading this article, I am sure you have an interest in the welfare of your grandchildren. In today’s society there are many grandparents with children. Most do not have legal rights to
If you are reading this article, I am sure you have an interest in the welfare of your grandchildren. In today’s society there are many grandparents with children. Most do not have legal rights to the child or children. Often they were just dumped there.
- Your have the kids in your home full-time, but do you have the legal right to provide full care for them.
- What do you do about school? Medical emergency? Visitation by the parents or the other grandparents?
- What if the parent or parents want them back?
- How are you going to afford them?
All very heavy questions that I cannot give full answers too in this short article. Some don’t have a clear answer. What I hope to do is give you places to go to find the help you desperately need.
It really doesn’t matter to the child why they are in the predicament they are in, they just want something they can hold onto in this life. And, you may be the only hope they have.
So, what do you do now? You, either have the kids, or you are trying to get custody of them.
1. Seek legal advice. I know this costs and you may not feel you can afford the extra expense, but this will save money and heartache down the road. At least talk with an attorney to see where you stand.
2. You may want to try the various forums online for grandparents. This can be a great placed for information and support. Trust me there are many other grandparents out there just like you.
3. Check with a church. Sometimes they have various support groups.
4. Seek information online. There’s not much information online yet, but more is coming.
You are going to need all the support you can find. You are in a tight position. On one side are the kids and on the other are your child, their parent, the other parent involved and the other grandparents. Sometimes the children are being pull in all different directions. No wonder they are afraid and upset.
This makes it even more difficult as the children are, sometimes, emotional and hard to handle. So, for your peace of mind, welfare of the kids, get good legal advice.
You grandparents with children are going to be a permanent fixture in our society for the foreseeable future. It is on your shoulders. You can do it if you allow others to help. But, you are going to have to be the one to take action and find that help.
Article publié pour la première fois le 12/11/2015