Here we are with essay on Global warming describing about What is Global Warming, What Causes Global Warming, What are the effects of global warming and How to save earth from Global warming? Read on to know Essay on Global warming its causes and impact.
Essay on Global warming its causes and impact
What is Global Warming?
Global warming or an unnatural weather change is a problem of too much carbon dioxide in the environment that acts as a blanket, trapping heat and warming the planet. As we burn fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gases for energy or cut down and burn forests to make fields and plantation leads to carbon accumulation and over-burden our air. Certain waste management and agricultural practices accelerate the issue by discharging other strong greenhouses gasses, for example, methane and nitrogenous oxide. Almost 100% of the temperature increases over the last 50 years because of the global warming only.
What is Green House effect?
When sunlight reaches Earth’s surface some is consumed and warms the earth but the majority of the rest is radiated back to the climate. Some of these longer wavelengths are consumed by greenhouse gasses in the climate before they are lost to space. The absorption of this radiant energy warms the climate. These greenhouse gasses act like a mirror and reflect back to the Earth some of the warmth which would otherwise be lost to space. The reflecting back of the heat energy to the atmosphere is known as the “greenhouse effect”.
What Causes Global Warming?
Scientists discovered that greenhouse gases are responsible for global warming, and humans emit them in a variety of ways. Most come from the combustion of fossil fuels in cars, factories and electricity production.
Deforestation means the loss of forests also responsible for global warming as plants take in carbon dioxide from the air and release oxygen, but when forests are cut down or burnt, the stored carbon is given back to the atmosphere making its concentration more than the required amount. Animals produce large amounts of methane also causes global warming. Some fertilizers used in agriculture also release nitrous oxide, which is another greenhouse gas and one of the causes of global warming. Many industrial processes, such as cement production, liquid natural gas production and coal mining, produce or emit a variety of greenhouse gases leads to global warming.
What are the effects of global warming?
CO2 survives in the atmosphere for a long time up to many centuries so its heat-trapping effects are compounded over time causes lots of impact on atmosphere. Some of the major effects of global warming on atmosphere are as follows.
- One of the most immediate and obvious effects of global warming is the increase in temperatures around the world. The average global temperature has increased by about 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius) over the past 100 years, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Ice is melting worldwide, especially at the Earth’s poles. This includes mountain glaciers, ice sheets covering West Antarctica and Greenland, and Arctic sea ice. Due to increased global warming, the level of the sea raises lead to flooding and this will in turn create havoc in human life. Apart from raising the sea levels, it will also endanger several species of animals and thus will hamper the balance of the ecosystem.
- Irregular weather patterns have already started showing results. Increased precipitation in the form of rain has already been noticed in polar and sub-polar regions. More global warming will lead to more evaporation which will cause more rains. Animals and plants cannot easily adapt to increased rainfall. Plants may die and animals may migrate to other areas, which can cause entire ecosystem out of balance.
- Global warming can affect agriculture. As the global temperature will increase, plants will find it harder to survive and will die. Plants are the major source of food for human beings and as a result food shortage may occur. The shortage of the food may lead to war and conflicts in some countries.
- As the temperature becomes warmer, it can affect the health of humans and the diseases they are exposed to. With the increase in the rainfall, water borne diseases are likely to spread like malaria. The earth will become warmer and as a result heat waves are likely to increase that can cause a major blow to the people.
- Wildfires are a natural occurrence, with the added carbon dioxide in the air, and hotter summers. More frequent wildfires continue to surface in vast amounts each year. The rate at which they burn is longer than the last, and with the release of carbon dioxide into the air, not only are people’s lives in danger, but wildlife severely suffers. Each time a wildfire burns, the less oxygen there is to combat the dangerous amounts of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere.
How to save earth from Global warming?
There are many ways by which we can save our earth from global warming some of the ways by which we can stop global warming are mentioned below.
- Automobiles release lots of carbon and the biggest contributor in global warming, so as for as possible try to avoid using your automobile for short distances and whenever possible. Instead of everybody using their own vehicle opt for carpool for example if some of you are working and living in the same area you can share one vehicle. This will cut down the carbon production and stop the global warming.
- Power your home with renewable energy. Use alternative sources of energy that generates its power from wind or sun. This will not only save your money but also stop global warming. Invest in energy-efficient appliances. Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent.
- Grow more and more trees that will absorb carbon dioxide and other harmful gases from the atmosphere and give you a clean air.
- Reduce Waste as Landfills are the major contributor of methane and other greenhouse gases. When the waste is burnt, it releases toxic gases result in global warming. Reusing and recycling old items can reduce your carbon footprint as it takes less energy to recycle old items than to produce items from scratch.
- Create awareness among the people and encourage them to save environment and reduce the carbon emission however possible.
Article publié pour la première fois le 28/09/2016