Describe an appointment that was put ahead of schedule.
You should say:
- what this appointment was
- when it happened
- why it was brought forward
and explain how you felt about the appointment being rescheduled.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
I had an appointment with a professor of Dortmund University in Dortmund, Germany. Actually, it was about taking his interview on his current research. And I had to take it before the scheduled for some reasons and managing everything was challenging for me. Somehow I managed this unmanageable event. This is a very good candidate task card and I will answer the remaining questions here.
I took the interview last month though it was set to be held in the first quarter of the current month. I also planned to publish the interview on the science and tech page of the newspaper marking the 60th birthday of the professor. Amid thousands of business, I had to manage time to attend the interview with the professor of physics at his university. But if the interview took place at the scheduled time, I think it would be better for me to handle everything that I jeopardized for the rush.
The schedule was brought ahead of time as the professor had to attend an international conference in the Netherlands that will last for two weeks. And if he attends the conference, he would be unable to attend the interview. So, the professor brought the schedule ahead of the time and I went to meet him for the interview purpose.
It was a mess in my office. In fact, I am the in-charge of the Science and Tech page of this newspaper and have to remain busy round the day. Sometimes I need to overwork as well to manage everything. And when I went for the interview, I had to reschedule each and every task of the day. Some of the tasks were pending that I completed the next day. And I had to overwork for three consecutive days to bring everything on regular track.
Idea generation for this Cue Card topic:
“Describe an appointment that was put ahead of schedule.”
The cue card could be answered in different other ways. Some of the potential ways of talking about this topic are given below:
1. My father wanted to have a routine checkup with his doctor. Accordingly, I took an appointment but suddenly before the scheduled date, the doctor made a phone call. He told that he has to go out of the city for some important task on the appointed day and requested me to meet him that day. Though it was difficult, I managed everything.
2. I had an appointment with my supervisor to discuss some important issues regarding sales of products on Thursday last. Experiencing some difficulties in the schedule, my supervisor asked me to reschedule the appointment on Monday. Accordingly, I had to change all my plans. In fact, I submerged into deep troubles for attending this appointment.
3. Attending official meeting is always boring and it the schedule is put ahead of the date, the situation turns worst. I experienced a similar event last Sunday. A meeting was set to be held on 29th of the instant but that was rescheduled on Sunday as the Chairman of the company would be unable to be present on the preset date. So, my boss was always right.
4. I am fond of my immediate supervisor at the workplace for his innovative approaches but this time I was in a trouble for his sudden decisions. He had set a team-building meeting with some other staffs on the last part of this month and informed everyone. I also had set my schedules accordingly. But the unexpected change in schedule jeopardized everything for me. You know, rescheduling anything is difficult indeed.
5. The school authority of my daughter issued me a letter to meet them. They wanted to have some discussions with me about her improvement. But later, they issued another letter apologizing that they were unable to meet on the day that they told and now had set another date ahead of the earlier day.