Describe a decision made by someone in your family that you disagreed with.
You should say:
- who made this decision
- what it was
- how you expressed your disagreement
and explain why you disagreed with this decision.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Thank you for this opportunity to let me talk about this topic. I live in a joint family in Haryana, a state in the northern part of India. Recently I experienced a situation when I had to disagree. An uncle made a decision which I could not agree with. But being the senior most person in the family, we all had to follow his orders and it did not matter whether we like that or not. Being an educated individual, I actually could not agree with him and protested against the decision. This is a great cue card topic for me and I will describe the events here in brief.
My uncle said that any female of the family is not allowed to work outside. Although some of the females of our family were highly educated, uncle imposed a barrier for them to get out of home for any earning activities. In fact, it was not a suitable decision from him.
I politely opposed with my uncle’s opinion. Actually, it was not the right decision. Of course, I appreciate his concern about the safety of the women of our family. But not letting them get involved in any productive activities is not a wise decision. So, I opposed the idea instantly in the family meeting. There was a mixed reaction when I opposed the idea.
We are living in a modern age and not allowing the female folks to work points that we are wasting half of our human resources. Security is not a concerning issue anymore in the country and many of the women are participating in wage-earning activities. If the females of my family do not work out of the home, they will lag behind in the race. And so, I disagreed with the decision for the aforesaid reasons.
Idea generation for this Cue Card topic:
“Describe a decision made by someone in your family that you disagreed with.”
Here are some other ways to deal with this cue card that would be helpful to generate ideas of your own.
1. Taking the major subject in college was a big decision for me but my dad interfered on that. He wanted me to take physics as the major while I preferred chemistry. I had to disagree with him this time and later I apologized to him.
2. We shifted to Mumbai this year and I had some disagreement with my parents over the selection of colour inside the home. My mother wanted to have blue in the base while I suggested some other colours like green or white in the living room and also suggested the orange colour for the kitchen. But she was unwilling to pay attention to my suggestions. The disagreement reached the peak and she stopped talking with me for a week on this issue.
3. I do agree that marriage makes life complete and so my parents wanted to get me married to the person they selected. But I focused on my studies and wanted to complete the post-graduation before the marriage. The matter created a disagreement with the other family members including my parents and the other siblings.
4. My father is a diabetic and follows an unhealthy routine. So, I wanted to take him to a doctor but he refused. I tried to make him understand about the disorders but he disagreed on the issue. Later, I invited the doctor at home which made him dissatisfied with me and also disagreed to meet the doctor. However, the doctor neutralized the situation.
5. Jim is my immediate younger sibling and wastes his time by gossiping with friends. So, I asked him to develop some good habit like book reading and exercise the habit in his regular life. He disagreed and advised me not to interfere in his private life. I informed the matter to my parents and there was a great chaos in the family about the matter.
Article publié pour la première fois le 08/02/2018