Describe a couple you know who have a happy marriage.
You should say:
- who they are
- how you know them
- what they usually do together
and explain how you feel about their marriage.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Mr and Mrs Saad live in the opposite apartment of mine at the Safwa City in Saudi Arabia. They are the couple who have a very happy marriage I have ever seen. They have been married for over 20 years and still, they are leading a romantic life and without any trouble. This is a great candidate tasks card for me, and I am happy to have the chance of describing the couple here.
I first met with this couple when my parents bought the apartment currently we are living in. As a neighbour, they paid us a visit on the very first day and I got introduced to them formally. But the introduction turned informal in the later stages while living in the apartment and still it is so. I used to visit them frequently and they loved me like their own daughter. As they had no kids, they loved me too much. So, there was no barrier in meeting them, especially with Mrs Saad. She is a nice lady with an exceptional intelligence.
They do a lot of things together. But I liked the way they care for each other. They also move for an outing together in different parts of the country. Shopping during the festivals is another important task for them and they take part together here. Interestingly, when they go on social occasions, they love going together. They cancel events if anyone of them feels uncomfortable.
This is a happy marriage. They do not quarrel or get involved in any other types of issues which may disturb their inner peace. They have a sense of deep love for one another, and thus this marriage is blessed. In fact, the other residents of the apartment block envy them for their happiness. I pray for their happiness.
Idea generation for this Cue Card topic:
“Describe a couple you know who have a happy marriage.”
As an IELTS candidate, you can also follow some other approaches to complete the answer to this cue card topic. Some of the potential clues to answer this topic are given below.
1. My meeting with Mr And Mrs Jones was interesting. They own a small restaurant beside my office. Gradually I came to know that they have a very happy marriage. I was glad indeed knowing the fact. They love to be with each other always. In fact, they are a model for every married couple.
2. While visiting India last year, I found a small family in a remote village – only two members, a husband and his wife. They do not have any other family members but they live in peace. They lost other family members in a tragic road accident. I felt sad for them.
3. Married for past 10 years, Annie and John make a good family. They are blessed with two kids too. Being a neighbour of them, I also feel proud. The key reason behind their happy marriage is that they do not go bed angry. They resolute all the troubles and go to sleep. This appeared a unique feature to me to be happy in married life.
4. The saying goes that forgiving is the best revenge. The saying fits in marriage too. I know a happily married couple in my neighbourhood. They are happy because they forgive each other. Forgiveness is the most important thing in marriage. Humans are imperfect and if someone is unable to forgive, life turns complicated. So, who wants to make a married life complicated.
5. My parents are a happily married couple. They have a better understanding than any other married people I have ever seen. They also love each other too much. Exercising the humane qualities is one of their prime concerns. My parents also share the household activities together like a team. I love them very much.